Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Genesis 1:27-28

Gen. 1:27 – Male and female

As noted, this is the general explanation, for which the specifics will be given later. This says nothing about creating them together, any more than the sentence “The plane has stopovers in Cleveland and Atlanta” indicates that the stopoves are at the same time.

Let me use an illustration. "I had a sandwich, fries, and a brownie for lunch, then after lunch I did some work. My sandwich had meat and cheese on it."

When did I have the sandwich? For lunch, of course. Is it out of order? No, I'm detailing what I did, then going back and adding extra detail into one portion of my day.

Going back to the sandwich illustration...

"Ihad a sandwich and fries for lunch...my sandwich had meat and cheese." I might continue, "It was a philly steak and cheese sandwich. Oh, while I was there, I ran into an old buddy from high school. We chatted about our school's recent state title - he'd been to the championship game! What a game it was! We both had to get back to work, but after we left the Philly steak place, we decided to continue our conversation in the bakery where he works, nd he bought me a brownie."

At first, i don't even mention what kind of meat, or that I had run into my old friend, much less our conversation about the title game. yet later on in my story, I go back and describe our entire conversation.

In the same way, God created Adam and Eve, and then goes back and gives every detail. Just like the way we talk sometimes. In part one, you may have thought the brownie was purchased in the same place as the Philly steak and cheese sandwich, but that's just the way we talk - it was in a totally different place.

Gen. 1:28 – Replenish the earth, and subdue it

This is not replenishing as we use that term today, when we say to put back things that have been taken out. Rather, it means to put them in the first time. Mankind was told to be fruitful and multiply so people could spread over the entire planet, and so they could work to establish that dominion which god had given them over everything. Because, while god had given it to them, they had not yet claimed it. Instead of claiming it God’s way, of course, they instead fell from grace. Before that sad story, though, comes chapter two, when this sixth day and the perfect earth are explained in more detail.